Saturday, November 11, 2006

A Welcome

When I first joined the ranks of the Canadian Seafarer I had no idea what laid in store for me with Revenue Canada. After being at sea for three years with a major cruise line, I was seeing how much of my hard earned money was going to taxes and seeing very little in return for my share of taxes paid. If I had known this before committing to this career, I may have had second thoughts about it.

After talking to co-workers from the UK and other countries I wondered how come Canada does not recognize the Canadian seafarer and offer some sort of tax break or deduction for us as other countries do for their seafarers.

The purpose of this blog is to inform fellow seafarers and give us a medium to voice as one for changes to the Canadian income tax legislation.